Monday, June 11, 2007

Dem bones dem bones dem, dry bones

Hi All

Did you get in safely this morning with the first good frost of the season? No broken bones, I hope. (Actually, a few years ago one of our languages students broke his arm walking in to morning class.)

Today's topic is bones, because the assessment resit for the learning outcome:
Can read a procedural text, involves a topic about health and medicine, so it will help those of you who are preparing for that.

To begin, I would like to to write a few paragraphs about a time you ever broke a bone, or almost broke one, or were with someone who did. I will tell you about
two times that my son was injured.

After that, I would like you to read this procedural text. They are the instructions you may need to follow if ever you have a bone reduction and repair operation - cross fingers that you never will!

After you have read it, I would like to to form groups of 4 to 6 people. Together I would like you to form 8 questions about the text. Imagine what you might be asked in an actual assessment.

I shall collect in those question sheets and pass them on to another group. You group will receive one as well. Together you will need to try and answer what the other group has asked. I may even make up a set of questions of my own and ask you all, individually this time, to answer them. This ought to thoroughly prepare you.

Here are my questions:

1. Why is an X-ray made?

2. What are the names of the two types of anaesthetic?

3. What does the type of anaesthetic depend on?

4. When will your surgeon decide about a bone graft?

5. What is the order of these steps:

  • Go to recovery room
  • Receive an intravenous
  • Have an X-ray made
  • Work with a physical therapist

6. How many pieces of equipment are listed in the section: What equipment is used?

7. How long do you stay in the recovery room?

8. What extra step will be done if the bone has pierced the skin?

No comments: