Monday, August 13, 2007

Tuesdays with Morrie


Be prepared this week to do work on some topics, in and out of class, that are not usual subjects studied in English class.

Today, I'm going to use a DVD. The people in charge of equipment have given us sound, so we will use it!

Our dictation comes from a movie, Tuesdays with Morrie (scroll down to see the quotes). You can borrow it for three days at a time from the Bill Robertson library across the road. You can see it on Youtube starting here. I own a personal copy of the book that this movie was made from, so you will be able to borrow it from me. I highly recommend it!

I'm going to work on your speed reading. I shall use a related story from the Otago Daily Times last week. Too many of you are using slow, inefficient, painstaking techniques, so I'm going to try and break that habit!

A good habit that I want to instil is correct basic grammar. Last Thursday I asked you to underline 10 sentences in your writing that you were sure were 100% correct. Well, you did not do this 100% correctly.

No comments: